Monday, August 29, 2011

It just isn't right to be this excited about my backyard ...

Stepping away from the heaviness that is parenting an ASD child in a USD ( _ Unified School District) world, my garden has suddenly become a very exciting and satisfying place for me to be. One of the chickens (Rosie) is laying - one egg every other day - and since my husband helped me put up an (12 x 7.5 x 6 ft) enclosure for the "big girls", the rest of the yard is beginning to bounce back. The grass is growing again, the flowers are making a comeback - chickens are wonderful for the soul, but hell on the flower beds.

Thank the FSM for Daiso and Ichiban Kan's super cheap bird netting (@ $1.50 a pop)! I've been able to use the same 9 x 3 ft lengths over and over again; this time to carve out some protected space for a bee-friendly flower garden. I'm hoping that by October I will have some borage growing again.

Bit by bit, I'm ripping out yet another patch of plastic weed blocker and putting down layers of compost, straw, cardboard, & wood chips. These areas have not been netted off; the chickens are specifically invited to dig, scratch & root through all of it This fall, I will be planting cabbage and other shade loving winter vegetables in these spots thanks to the planting bed services of my tiny, omnivorous, feathery dinosaur friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment